Opening Doors To Family And Opportunity
  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Family-based Immigration
  4.  | What you need to know about the U.S. fiancé(e) visa

What you need to know about the U.S. fiancé(e) visa

On Behalf of | Sep 23, 2022 | Family-based Immigration

A U.S. fiancé(e) visa can help you and your partner from another country start a new life in the United States. Apart from granting them entry to the U.S., it also facilitates the readjustment of their status to permanent residency upon marriage. Here is a comprehensive look at everything you need to know about the U.S. fiancé(e) visa.

Understanding the U.S. K-1 fiancé(e) visa

Also known as the 90-day fiancé(e) visa, the K-1 fiancé(e) visa grants United States citizens the power to bring in their foreign national fiancé(e). The foreign national can travel to the U.S. once the petition is approved and the visa is granted. However, it expires in 90 days, which means the marriage has to occur within that period for the foreign fiancé(e) to apply for a green card.

Although the K-1 fiance visa helps your partner get into the United States, it is not a green card. Once the applicant receives the visa, they can only obtain a green card upon marriage to the U.S. citizen who petitioned it. There is no fiancé(e) visa option for a green card holder.

Who can apply for a K-1 fiancé(e) visa?

An applicant must be in a genuine relationship with a U.S. citizen to apply for a K-1 fiancé(e) visa. In some cases, they may be asked to prove that the relationship is leading to marriage. It is also vital that the applicant and petitioner have met at least once over the past two years.

Next, the partner living in the United States must be a legal citizen who can enter into a marriage contract. They have to meet the minimum age requirement and not be legally married to anyone else. Finally, they should be capable of providing for the household’s financial needs since they are considered the sponsoring partners.

Document requirements for the U.S. fiancé(e) visa

Below is a comprehensive list of documents needed for a U.S. fiancé(e) visa:

  • Proof of U.S. petitioner’s citizenship
  • Proof of relationship
  • Proof that the U.S. petitioner meets income requirements
  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of the foreign fiancé(e)’s admissibility

Forms required to file for a U.S. fiancé(e) visa

You must fill out specific forms when applying for a K-1 fiancé(e) visa. These include the following:

  • Form I-129f: petition for alien fiancé(e)
  • Form DS-160: online nonimmigrant visa application
  • Form I-134: affidavit of support
  • Form I-693: report of vaccination and medical examination