Legal Help To Become A Naturalized U.S. Citizen
For many immigrants who have built lives in the United States, the American dream is fulfilled when they achieve U.S. citizenship.
At Gurnani & Gurnani, Attorneys at Law, we have proudly helped many clients become naturalized U.S. citizens. If you meet all the requirements, we can help you file the petition and prepare for the citizenship tests. If there are any obstacles from your past that stand in the way, we can help you address those issues to make you eligible. We assist immigrants throughout New Jersey and beyond.
The Path To Naturalization And Citizenship
The main requirements to become a naturalized citizen of the United States are:
- Lawful permanent resident (green card) for at least five years
- Physical presence in the U.S. for at least 30 months
- 18 years of age
- Ability to read, write and speak basic English
- Demonstrated understanding of U.S history and civics
- Good moral character
Children who are born within the United States are automatically conferred citizenship. Spouses of U.S. citizens can apply for citizenship after three years. Foreign nationals who have served in the U.S. military may be exempt from certain residency requirements.
Potential Barriers To Citizenship
Our lawyers both have 30 years of experience in U.S. immigration law. We are very familiar with the naturalization process, including issues that might make you temporarily ineligible, such as:
- Not meeting the residency requirement
- Past immigration violations (unlawful entry, expired visa)
- Convictions for “crimes of moral turpitude” (theft or fraud)
- Criminal convictions that resulted in jail time of 180 days or more
- Failing to file or pay your taxes
Unless you are permanently barred from citizenship, we may be able to help you overcome these obstacles to eventually become eligible for citizenship. Don’t give up hope before you talk to our lawyers.
Are You Ready To Become An American Citizen?
It is our great joy to help immigrants complete their journey to citizenship. We will answer all your questions and prepare you for the legal process. To schedule a consultation, call our law office in Edison at 732-902-0794 or contact us online.